Wondering what to eat in Hong Kong? In this article, our award travel expert recommends 8 best food in Hong Kong that will make your mouth water. As one of the most international cities in China, Hong Kong possesses a rich food culture resulting from different periods in history. If you are a foodie, don’t miss out on this journey for the mouth.
Original source: “Top 8 Things to Eat When in Hong Kong” by Foodicles
rom Local Cuisine to Affordable & High-End International Cuisines. Travelers to Hong Kong have an overwhelming choice of what to eat when visiting the city. There are the local dishes as well as the international cuisines that all standout. Here are my Top 8 things to eat when in Hong Kong:
1. Pineapple Bun – Hong Kong Food
Also known as “bo lo bao,” the pineapple bun is one of Hong Kong’s most iconic snacks. The traditional bun has a generous slice of butter inside the warm bread. There are also dim sum restaurants serving it with a sweet, savory BBQ pork filling. The best part about the pineapple bun is the crunchy top contrasting against the soft bread bun.
2. Xiao Long Bao – Hong Kong Food
While not traditionally a Cantonese dish, xiao long bao, or steamed pork soup dumpling, has made its way internationally from Shanghai to the world. This is one of the ultimate comfort foods when eating dim sum. You can enjoy quality dumplings at any Crystal Jade or Din Tai Fung locations in Hong Kong.
3. Bucket of Tofu – Hong Kong Food
You cannot go to Hong Kong without trying several of the signature desserts, including this tofu bucket from Sweet Dynasty. The freshly steamed bucket of tofu is served with a sweet molasses sauce, both of which you scoop at your table.
4. Affordable Sushi at Sen-Ryo – Hong Kong Food
You may have come to Hong Kong to focus on the local, Chinese dishes. But, save space for the international restaurants as well. Hong Kong has some of the best brands of cuisines in the city, including Sen-Ryo sushi which serves affordable and quality sushi on a conveyor belt. Keep in mind, this is far better than your usual conveyor belt sushi place. You can even order high-quality toro, uni, and more.
5. Hong Kong Style Dessert at Honeymoon Dessert – Hong Kong Food
After a filling meal or for a snack during the day, one of the best desserts in Hong Kong has the ability to cool you down, refresh your spirits, and satisfy your stomach. Honeymoon Dessert serves classic Hong Kong style cold and hot desserts using Asian fruits, including this mango pomelo and sago sweet soup.
6. Anything Lobster at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon – Hong Kong Food
Ranked as one of the finest restaurants in Hong Kong, you cannot go wrong at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon. Everything is the menu is excellent, and the lobster and seafood dishes are absolute perfection. I highly recommend creating your own tasting menu with everything seafood.
7. British Cuisine – Hong Kong Food
While Chinese food in Hong Kong is an obvious meal, you must also indulge in British pub fare. The long-standing British history and influence in Hong Kong left some of the best of its cuisine in the city. For the best fish & chips and curries, head to The Chinnery at Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong.
8. Peking Duck – Hong Kong Food
You cannot go to Hong Kong without having Peking Duck, and it is best served at Man Wah. Man Wah’s Peking duck stands out in how the expert servers trim off the fat from the perfectly plump and roasted duck. The whole experience is like Chinese-fine dining dinner theater.
Have you ever been to Hong Kong? Share with us your experience. More travel inspirations at @awardtravel.
You May Also Like
- Flight Review: Singapore Airlines B777-300ER First Class, Hong Kong to San Francisco
- Flight Review: Japan Airlines First Class Lounge – Tokyo Haneda Airport (HND)
- Hotel Review: Renaissance Lucerne Hotel, Switzerland [Marriott]
- Hotel Review: Conrad Manila, Philippines [Hilton]
- Hotel Review: InterContinental Koh Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort [IHG]
- 5 Days In New Zealand: 5 Places to Hike in New Zealand
- 9 Days in Sri Lanka: Best Places to Visit in Sri Lanka
- Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10 Top Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Ghent Travel Guide: 10 Reasons to Visit Ghent, Belgium